[Zope] Improved Zope Org Proposal

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 03:50:43 EDT 2006

On 6/27/06, John Schinnerer <john at eco-living.net> wrote:
> This is a basic principle of design that works (as opposed to design
> that fails to work).
> Start small and work the edges outwards.
> The "work edges outwards" that works is often modular in nature (perhaps
> a.k.a. 'micro-sites').
> That doesn't mean it can't look-and-feel like "one big site as access
> point."
>
> Biting off more than one (person, organization, whatever) can chew
> usually results in choking...

Exactly my points.

> So I actually see a lot of agreement in what may appear to be argument.

Well, the proposal is to start only with the accesspoint (and the
origonal proposal did not contain anything else than the access point,
and also proposed it to be interim, for some reason). We can't start
with only the accesspoint, as we would have no product listing and no
collector other than at old.zope.org, which would be completely
bizarre. We have to start, as a minimum, with creating a
products.zope.org and a collector.zope.org (or maybe rather
bugs.zope.org) before we can replace www.zope.org. None of this is
hard to do. It should be doable in a couple of days worth of work, in
any case less than a week.

> I agree that despite the wonders of zope, the zope.org site is not as
> stunning a place to refer people to as it could be. For the most general
> public face of the site, I support the idea of a clear and simple
> "brochure-like" approach.

Exactly.