[Zope] Zed should stand for Zope Extension Distribution

Mark, Jonathan (Integic) jonathan.mark at integic-hc.com
Thu Mar 2 17:02:16 EST 2006

Over at the Zope-Dev mailing list, Jim Fulton (the inventor of Zope) is talking about a new line of software called Zed. It would consist of those parts of Zope 3 which can be called independently of the Zope/twisted server.

I do not wish to post on the Zope-Dev list because I am not a Zope developer. As an ordinary user of 2.6 (goodbyejim.com) I do wish to comment here.

Zed should stand for Zope Extensions Distribution, because it permits Python developers to extend their applications with Zope technologies.

That way the brand name of Zope would be protected. Remember when Coke had New Coke and Coke Classic? It was careful to keep the word "Coke" in both drinks.

It would harm Zope if people who used the ZODB, for instance, thought that they were not using Zope. Rather, they should think that they are using Zope, but simply the ZED, Zope Extension Distribution.