[Zope] Zope + Apache on Quad Debian machine

S.Hayles sh23 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 16 04:20:07 EST 2006

You can do something like:

/usr/bin/taskset -c 0 zeo/bin/zeoctl start
/usr/bin/taskset -c 1 zope.a/bin/zopectl start
/usr/bin/taskset -c 2 zope.b/bin/zopectl start
/usr/bin/taskset -c 3 zope.c/bin/zopectl start

You then need to load-balance across the ZOPE instances with (eg Pound or
Squid).

AFAIK it's only Python-based programs that need binding to a particular
CPU, so Apache, Pound and Squid are fine without setting any affinity.

Since ZEO is not very CPU intensive, you can share it's CPU with another
ZOPE instance should you wish.

We're running twin ZOPE instances and ZEO on a dual CPU Debian box, load
balancing with Pound and caching and URL rewriting with Apache. The
feeling these days seems to be that load balancing and caching with Squid
gives better performance.

Steven

Steven Hayles - Computer Systems Developer, sh23 at le.ac.uk
Learning Technology Section, Computer Centre,
University of Leicester, University Rd, Leicester, LE1 7RH
Fax (0/+44)116 2525027 WWW <URL:http://www.le.ac.uk/home/sh23>