[Zope] Virtual Hosting is confusing

Andrew Sawyers andrew at sawdog.com
Tue Mar 28 15:28:28 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 00:14 +0530, Vishal Kashyap wrote:
> Andreas  ,
>
> > What's the problem with using Vhosting as described in the Zope Book. The
> > documentation explains how to solve the problem. If you have a problem,
> > tell us about the problem.
>
> I am not able to understand that. In apache what we do is create a
> document root make sure that apache is listening on the ip on which
> virtual host is running.
> In apache I simply do is
>
> <VirtualHost 19.19.19.0:80>
>     ServerAdmin webmaster at dummy-host.example.com
>     DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
>     ServerName dummy-host.example.com
>     ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
>     CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>

> What is equivalent of above in Zope.
The equivalent in Zope if you continue using apache would be a
VirtualHost with a rewrite.  For example:
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster at foo.com
    ServerName  www.foo.com
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*)
http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.foo.com:80/sub_ob/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHost>

Where sub_ob is the zope object you wish to map the 'site' to.

You could also by pass using apache and just use the VirtualHostMonster
Mappings tab:
www.foo.com/sub_ob
www.bar.com/someother_ob

Hope this helps a bit more,