[Zope] AJAX and Zope

Pascal Peregrina Pperegrina at Lastminute.com
Wed May 24 09:34:48 EDT 2006

Well, that's why I mentioned this in my initial mail:
http://jtauber.com/blog/2006/05/23/primitive_python_version_of_gwt_working
(the python to javascript translator part)

Of course I know how to make some AJAX to in Zope for some specific application. But I wanted to know if some of the core Zope developers had ever thought about a more generic approach.

For example I am sure that having this "python to javascript translator" and objects like PythonScripts that would have a "javascript" view is something that would make AJAX enabled pages development on Zope much easier (just a matter of including the JS library and then make some python code).

Pascal

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Lennart Regebro [mailto:regebro at gmail.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 24 mai 2006 15:27
À : Pascal Peregrina
Cc : zope at zope.org
Objet : Re: [Zope] AJAX and Zope

On 5/24/06, Pascal Peregrina <Pperegrina at lastminute.com> wrote:
> By Zope objects I meant:
>
> You've got a page template for example, and you include such an "AJAX enabled object", basically rendering an HTML fragment, and the resulting page will include the page template code + the fragment (similar to a macro call), but will also include the needed javascript code to handle the asynchronous communication.

That is a macro call. There is no difference. It just that the macro
includes the HTML needed to suck in the JS library you use.

> Then another thing would be something like a PythonScript object (so you define python code and return python structures) and get it rendered as javascript to be included in somepage for processing the data returned by an asynchronous XML-RPC call to Zope within the browser.

Thare has been discussions and efforts to make a library where you can
write python code and get Ajax out, yes. It is very non-trivial. :)

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com