[Zope] PAS and SSO pubcookie question

cristopher pierson ewing cewing at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 16 17:20:27 EST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Maciej Wisniowski wrote:

>> Does the 2.7 edition of the zope book that I can find on plope.org
>> cover security as handled by PAS?
> No.
I saw the second message for this, so what I read about order of actions
in th 2.7 book will apply to how PAS is working as well?  I just don't
want to get confused by learning something that isn't actually how my
system is working.

>> If you are interested, the 'RemoteUserAuth' product and it's companion,
>> 'CACSiteRoot', the sources can be downloaded from the tutorial page:
>>
>> http://www.washington.edu/webinfo/case/zope/
>
> Yup, I've just downloaded those.
>
> Seems that RemoteUserAuth does some dirty hacks in Zope publisher :/
> This seems to be from 2004. I'm not sure if it'll work with newer
> Zope versions.
> CACSiteRoot seems to translate URLs... something like
> VirtualHostMonster. But I'm not sure why somebody reinvented the
> whell so it possibly does something more.

Yeah, I'm not so sure either, but the instructions say to use them, so I'm
using them.  I think the reason for CACSiteRoot is to preserve the
http/https nature of the original request header, but why is not totally
clear to me (to say the least) ;)

>> It'd be great, though if there were zope gurus out there who had
>> experience working with pubcookie.  I've found a few messages on boards
>> from a while back that seemed to indicate that there were folks working
>> on a PAS plugin that would incorporate pubcookie, but I haven't seen any
>> information indicating that that was ever successful.
> Hm... I've looked at:
> http://www.pubcookie.org/docs/how-pubcookie-works.html
>
> This is not detailed enough but seems that it should be not difficult to
> do it with PAS. In general it is a bit similiar to CAS solution, but CAS
> doesn't use so much cookies. I mean CAS4PAS may be a good base for
> Pubcookie4PAS :)

> If you want to know more about PAS take a look into it's sources at
> interfaces.py and docs/.
Yeah, I knew I'd need to get good at reading python sooner or later.

> If you want you may take a look at CAS4PAS plugin. It is simple, but
> it is good to know how CAS and PAS works to understand this.
I will do so.  This seems a good place to start