[Zope] Database connectors

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 05:33:54 EST 2006

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> yes, we sometimes get deadlocks in the database, net outages and general
> misbehavior of DCO2. This is on zope2.6; we have not been able to use
> ChrisW's latest modifications to the the python side of DCO2, because
> for our use cases it hanged even worse.

Indeed, I needed solid reproducible test cases and my expertise in
generating these in the weird world of Zope 2's DA's was not so good
back then ;-)

> If everything goes the way I want, we will not be using neither ZSQL not
> DCO2 connections in the future; we will use SQLAlchemy to create a
> standard python library that connects to the database with cx_Oracle,
> and zope will only see Python objects from our custom library. The
> library will manage the connections to Oracle, and be independent of
> ZODB transactions (more or less).

This sounds like an excellent plan, and one which I'm hoping to explore
with a pure Zope 3 project I'm working on.

I'd recommend having a look at this:

http://svn.zope.org/z3c.zalchemy/

...which should still mean you don't have to worry about transactions :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk