[Zope] Problems starting ZEO with zeoctl

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Sat Sep 2 09:10:21 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben" <shadroth at gmail.com>
To: "Jonathan" <dev101 at magma.ca>
Cc: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Problems starting ZEO with zeoctl

> On 9/2/06, Jonathan <dev101 at magma.ca> wrote:
>> As an experiment, can you try running zeoctl as the root user?  If this
>> works, then it is definitely a problem with the permissions that your
>> 'zope'
>> user has  (the error you described is normally a permissions related
>> error).
>
> Running 'zeoctl start' as root does not help, however if I edit
> zeo.conf and change:
> user zope
> to:
> user root
>
> and then run zeoctl start, it works.
>
> so it seems it certainly is permission related, but I'm not sure where
> to go from here, as the .py files related to zeoctl and runzeo are
> beyond my level of understanding.

The zeo.conf that I am running (Zope 2.9.2) has the 'user' entry commented
out:

<runner>
  program $INSTANCE/bin/runzeo
  socket-name $INSTANCE/etc/zeo.zdsock
  daemon true
  forever false
  backoff-limit 10
  exit-codes 0, 2
  directory $INSTANCE
  default-to-interactive true
  # user zope
  python /usr/local/bin/python
  zdrun /usr/local/Zope-2.9.2/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py

  # This logfile should match the one in the zeo.conf file.
  # It is used by zdctl's logtail command, zdrun/zdctl doesn't write it.
  logfile $INSTANCE/log/zeo.log
</runner>

I don't usually run zeoctl manually (my CentOS 4.3 system starts it at boot
time), but when I do I am running as 'root' and it works fine.

Jonathan