[Zope] Need help tracing my application errors.

Jose Carlos Balderas Alberico josecarlos.balderas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 15:05:31 EDT 2006

Greetings.

I have a problem with an application we have hosted in Zope, and I thought
you could give me a hand. Basically, my question is: what's the easiest way
to trace errors raised by a python script that's part of the application?

This is the exact situation: I have to modify such application. It is a very
big application, with a lot of python scripts, sql methods, etc... After
testing it for the first time after the modification, nothing happens. By
this I mean there is no error message, yet I know the application doesn't
work right, since no data were inserted into the database.

If it was an application developed in some other language, I'd just print
messages on the screen to carry on with the debugging, and be able to know
where the application is going. But this doesn't work with Zope. I just
can't write "print 'some message'", because nothing gets written on the
screen...

I have tried with the Error_log object, but since the python script doesn't
raise exceptions, no exceptions is captured by such object.

I'm out of ideas here. What I basically want is some way of printing stuff
somewhere, maybe a file, or the screen itself, to know where the application
is in every moment. That way, locating the error would be far easier.

Please, any help with this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.