[Zope] zope and sakai comparison

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sat Sep 9 20:36:33 EDT 2006

Sacscha,

>> Our university has dump a lot of money into sakai. I don't know
>> anything about it but I wonder if someone has compared sakai with
>> zope?
>
> I don't know Sakai either, but a 30 seconds look at http://sakaiproject.org
> makes me belive that you are compaing apples and oranges. Nowhere does
> that website say that Sakai is an application server - which is what
> Zope is.

Sakai is a tool supported by many academic institutions (generally of
the University Level) to manage course, participants, teaches and
resources required to support that [eg. assessment tools, collaboration
tools].

As you say, it is -not- an application server and in fact runs inside a
Java application server itself (its demo runs against tomcat but I'm led
to believe any Java compliant servlet container will run it).

A better question for David to answer might be: why do you want to
compare Sakai with anything else, what is the actual reason for the
question?

If we know that, we might be able to find a comparable "apple" running
on Zope, or for that matter using any of the various web-based
frameworks that abound.

DSL