[Zope] Upload file to server for encoding...

Nick Gr skoupi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 10:14:31 EDT 2006

>> A) Upload a file to the server
>>
>> B)After the file is uploaded , I have write a python program to
>> encode the file
>>
>> C)When the encoding is finish, user must download the file back to
>> his machine.
>>
>> I'm very new to Zope and I choose it because I thought it should have
>> an easy and good communication with python. Since I have terminated
>> the python program that does what I want, I have no idea how to
>> accomplish the requests above.
>>
>> A -> I know I will need external access to the file system, is there
>> a product that can help me in that ?
>
> LocalFS and ExtFile are a couple of options.

I try to install LocalFS with no success ( Zope never include it in the
product list).
Using ExtFile I just could have access to my file systems, how can I use
it to upload a file from my website visitors pc ?

>> B -> my program works as I want like a python program , it will need
>> any modification so I can use it in Zope ?
> Look into External Methods
Already reading , thank's.
>> C -> I think I will need also some kind of progress indicator so the
>> user can know when the encoding is done (some time takes more than a
>> minute)
> This may help:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/don/long_procces
That's a solution but do you know something more GUI like a progress bar ?
>> . Any ideas how the user will download back the file? should the
>> download begin automatically after the encoding ?
> If your external method commits the transaction, a new zope object
> will be created.  You could then do a response.redirect that causes
> the user's browser to access the new object.

My python program change the original file, it doesn't create another
one after the encoding. Can I use the same Zope object or it doesn't
work that way ?

Cheers...