[Zope] which operating system quandry

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Fri Sep 29 18:39:26 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bear" <David.Bear at asu.edu>
To: "zope" <Zope at zope.org>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 6:05 PM
Subject: [Zope] which operating system quandry

>I know it has been asked many times which os is best for zope, I have
> yet to see a 'system administration perspective' in the discussion. By
> this I mean which os seems to have the most worry free administration
> of a zope instances. I have installed zope on both FreeBSD and various
> linucies and here is what I have observed:
>
> 2) I've run zope on Red Hat and Suse linux. In both cases I found that
> I needed to install a different version of python than the one
> packaged with the distro becuase Zope had specific dependencies for
> new versions python. Applying patches to zope is manual. It has always
> been very
> inconvenient to build python and PIL in a separate run instances for
> zope. This seems like a major pain in the ...

I am currently using CentOS 4.3 and it works well for me (RH equivalent),
but yes you will probably have to install another version of python, but
once you have done it a few times its not that bad!  (I am running PIL and a
bunch of other non-standard - ie, perl/C++/etc - packages in conjunction
with my zope applications, without problems).  "yum" is great for rpm
managment.

btw, i am running both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of CentOS (different boxes
of course!) and have had no problems with zope/zeo/PIL/et al at all (i am
running zope 2.9.2 and zope 3.2 in both environments with no problems).

Jonathan