[Zope] which operating system quandry

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Sep 30 04:10:47 EDT 2006

--On 29. September 2006 15:05:06 -0700 David Bear <David.Bear at asu.edu>
wrote:

> I know it has been asked many times which os is best for zope, I have
> yet to see a 'system administration perspective' in the discussion. By
> this I mean which os seems to have the most worry free administration
> of a zope instances. I have installed zope on both FreeBSD and various
> linucies and here is what I have observed:
>
> 1) Freebsd ports collection is an easy way to install zope -- the
> ports maintainer takes care of making the build files to handle all the
> zope dependencies including python versions, libraries, etc. However,
> I have yet to use portupgrade to apply security patches to zope
> instances running on freebsd. Does anyone know of using cvsupdate for
> getting security patches works over the ports collection of zope
> smoothly?

Don't depend on packages. It is the safest way to use the source code
distributions. The sources code distro is recommended and supported. In
case of packages you depend often on a single maintainer.

> 2) I've run zope on Red Hat and Suse linux. In both cases I found that
> I needed to install a different version of python than the one
> packaged with the distro becuase Zope had specific dependencies for
> new versions python. Applying patches to zope is manual. It has always
> been very inconvenient to build python and PIL in a separate run
> instances for zope. This seems like a major pain in the ...

Using a Python source installation is also highly recommended. System
Python installation often have issues that lead to unpredictable failures.
So
choose either between the hassles with a clean Python source installation or
with system Python installation.

> 4) I am very interested to know how others manage zope sites. Are
> there any best practices? Are there any linux distributions that are
> more kind to zope than others -- meaning they don't have dependencies
> on old python versions, or they have a very good patch system (debian
> apt updates for zope??)

The Linux distro really does not matter. The discussions about different
Linux distros are just esoteric. The major distros like Debian, Fedora Core,
Redhat, Suse are all working. And maintaining Zope instances on such
systems is nearly always the same. You install Python and Zope from the
sources and that's it. So please no further discussions about which  Linux
distribution is the best...that's off-topic.

-aj

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376