[Zope] PluggableAuthService question about roles

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Apr 2 14:45:42 EDT 2007

I have installed the following:

Zope Version 	(Zope 2.9.7-final, python 2.4.4, linux2)
Python Version 	2.4.4 (#1, Oct 23 2006, 13:58:00)
                       [GCC 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)]
System Platform 	linux2
SOFTWARE_HOME 	/var/zope/lib/python
ZOPE_HOME 	/var/zope
INSTANCE_HOME 	/var/zope
CLIENT_HOME 	/var/zope/var
Network Services 	ZServer.HTTPServer.zhttp_server (Port: 8086)
ZServer.HTTPServer.zwebdav_server (Port: 9800)

I'm using Zeo storage with this.

The main problem is my understanding roles with  my new set up.

I am moving from a Zope 2.6.1 setup to the setup shown above.  I've already
added some Products to my INSTANCE_HOME/Products directory including Plone
which includes the PluggableAuthService folder.  I installed a Plone site for
testing and deleted it.

  It appears that PAS has taken over my root acl_users folder or is this now a
default in 2.9.

  Now I can only add users from the ZODB User Manager under /acl_users/users,
there is nowhere to add a user from an Add buttion as in the older version of
Zope.

  I can add roles from ZODB Role Manager in /acl_users/roles but these roles
don't show up under the Security tab on any page.  I can add local roles
under the Security tab and they don't show up in /acl_users/roles.

I have searched and can find little to no documentation on use or difference
in the two authentication methods.  Where can I find more information on
roles in 2.9.7 and use in this situation?

Is this normal behavior and if so how can I synchronize roles between the
Security tab and /acl_users/roles or is it not possible?

Am still searching the WEB and archives in the meantime.

Thanks,

Thomas