[Zope] Deploying with buildout (was: buildout, instancemanager, and eggs)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Aug 28 17:38:45 EDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:

> We have a Plone 3.0/Zope 2.10 application that we need to develop
> on, maintain and
> deploy to a ZEO server and multiple ZEO clients.  Currently we use svn
> bundles of Zope and Plone and our own packages and products in one big
> svn:externals definition.  We also use some more recent versions of
> certain products and packages than those included in the upstream
> svn:externals.  For example:
>
> Zope svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope/branches/2.10
> Zope/lib/python/zope/app/interface svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/
> zope.app.interface/trunk/src/zope/app/interface
>
> Though I haven't seen any documentation to this effect, svn seems to
> treat the second svn:externals as a "svn switch" on "svn up".
>
> So one question I have is how would I "override" the versions of some
> package like this using buildout?

Putting these packages in your Zope instance home's "lib/python"
directory should get them found before the others.  For Products, you
can use an additional "products-path" directive in zope.conf and put
files in there.  I don't know how to tell buildout to do either, though.

> Another question I have is that there aren't releases for all the
> dependencies our application has.  I'm wondering what the best way
> is to
> define a canonical release for deployment to our cluster.  Ideally,
> we'd
> have a buildout (or whatever) on a staging server where we're testing
> the candidate for deployment and then when all tests pass that *exact*
> source should be deployed to the cluster.

I always use a vendor import for this (to a separate CVS server, I
don't use SVN).

>   How might one do this without
> upstream releases?  Is there a way to get buildout and setuptools to
> play together so that I can build a source distribution from the test
> passing buildout on staging?  Is there a way I can have a buildout on
> each cluster node such that a simple ./bin/buildout will get the
> latest
> deployment release for that node?

Personally I use a script that knows about all of the revisions of
all of the products and packages I want to deploy, and which creates
a "sandbox", downloading and installing all of them (as well as
creating instances, etc).  It doesn't work very well for upgrades,
but for starting a sandbox fresh, it's fine.  See http://
agendaless.com/Members/chrism/software/buildit and http://
www.plope.com/Members/chrism/buildit_example .

- C