[Zope] UTF encoding problem w/ ZPT's (No, not the usual :)

Doyon, Jean-Francois jdoyon at NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Aug 29 14:06:39 EDT 2007

G'day,

So I've been working on this project for some time, and all is well.  Now for the first time I migreate my product code to a brand new Zope installation on the production systems.

Development and production systems are as identical as they can be.  In this case, they both have the same default locale (as indicated by the locale command in the shell), same OS version, same zope.conf settings (default-zpublisher-encoding and locale), etc ...

I use UTF-8 *everywhere* (My PT files, .py files, etc ... all UTF-8).  The web pages come out UTF-8 ... I've even switched the ZMI to UTF-8.  All works well on the development side.

Now on the production side, I'm getting an encoding related error.

Where I have something like:

	content="..."
	i18n:attributes="content" i18n:target="string:fr" />

The value of i18n:target 'string:fr' has always been a str from the beginning.  Now, on the new system, it comes through as a unicode string!

So I see this:

Error Type: TypeError
Error Value: 'unicode' object is not callable

Since the i18n:target implementation is my own, I can fix the code of course, but now I'm worried this might happen somewhere else, and I don't understand why.

The only difference I can see is that the file went through subversion in the process (commit -> check out on different machine).

Anyone know where this difference might come from?  In other words, how does the PT engine decide whether that value shuld be a unicode string or a regular one?

Any insight would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Jean-François Doyon
Data Dissemination Division | Division de la diffusion des données
Data Management and Dissemination Branch | Direction de la gestion et de la diffusion des données
Earth Sciences Sector | Secteur des sciences de la Terre
Natural Resources Canada | Ressources naturelles Canada
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0E9
jdoyon at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-992-4902
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-947-2410
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-996-4397