[Zope] UTF encoding problem w/ ZPT's (No, not the usual :)

Doyon, Jean-Francois jdoyon at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Aug 30 08:41:58 EDT 2007

Ooops, my bad ...

Here it is:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
  Module Products.CMFCore.FSPageTemplate, line 216, in _exec
  Module Products.CMFCore.FSPageTemplate, line 155, in pt_render
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 89, in pt_render
  Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 117, in pt_render
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 271, in __call__
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 379, in do_startEndTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 408, in do_startTag
  Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 496, in attrAction_tal
  Module Products.ESSPortals.i18ntargetpatch, line 34, in
talinterpretertranslate
  Module Products.ESSPortals.i18ntargetpatch, line 14, in
zopecontexttranslate
  Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 224, in evaluateText
  Module zope.tales.tales, line 696, in evaluate
file:/home/atlas/app/Zope-CPS-Instance/Products/ESSPortals/skins/atlas/s
plash/root_view.pt
   - Line 33, Column 0
   - Expression: u'string:fr'
   - Names:
      {'container': <ESSSite at /atlas>,
       'context': <ESSSite at /atlas>,
       'default': <object object at 0xb7fe3528>,
       'here': <ESSSite at /atlas>,
       'loop': {},
       'nothing': None,
       'options': {'args': ()},
       'repeat': <Products.PageTemplates.Expressions.SafeMapping object
at 0xb364d5cc>,
       'request': <HTTPRequest,
URL=http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/new/root_view>,
       'root': <Application at >,
       'template': <FSPageTemplate at /atlas/root_view>,
       'traverse_subpath': [],
       'user': <SpecialUser 'Anonymous User'>}
TypeError: 'unicode' object is not callable

The problem is that zope.tales.tales.evaluate() tests for a str ... But,
now, for unknown reasons, it's getting a unicode string.

The i18ntarget patch code does nothing to the value of the i18n:target
attribute.  Up until yesterday, target_language was always a string ...
Now, on the new servers, it's a unicode string! (And like I said, the
environments are otherwise quite identical).

Here's the monkey patch to enable i18n:target support:

# $Id: i18ntargetpatch.py 2481 2007-08-29 17:24:02Z jdoyon $

""" Make i18n:target function in ZPT's. """

from Products.PageTemplates.Expressions import ZopeContext
from Products.PageTemplates.GlobalTranslationService import \
     getGlobalTranslationService
from zope.tal.talinterpreter import TALInterpreter

def zopecontexttranslate(self, msgid, domain=None, mapping=None,
                         target_language=None, default=None):
    context = self.contexts.get('context')
    if target_language:
        target_language = self.evaluateText(target_language)
    return getGlobalTranslationService().translate(
        domain, msgid, mapping=mapping,
        context=context, target_language=target_language,
default=default)

ZopeContext.translate = zopecontexttranslate

def talinterpretertranslate(self, msgid, default=None, i18ndict=None,
                            obj=None, domain=None):
    if default is None:
        default = getattr(msgid, 'default', unicode(msgid))
    if i18ndict is None:
        i18ndict = {}
    if domain is None:
        domain = getattr(msgid, 'domain', self.i18nContext.domain)
    if obj:
        i18ndict.update(obj)
    if not self.i18nInterpolate:
        return msgid
    return self.engine.translate(msgid, self.i18nContext.domain,
                                 i18ndict, self.i18nContext.target,
default)

TALInterpreter.translate = talinterpretertranslate

We'll see with time if this crops up anywhere else ... Though I use
i18n:target in very few places, and don't usually otherwise handle
attribute values directly the way I do here.

As for subversion, I took great care to make sure everything was utf-8
on the FS, during development, and I know Subersion uses utf-8
internally, so I'm not sure what it would change it to.  Once checked
back out, it still looks like utf-8 ... I'm saying all this based on the
assumption that the string -> unicode difference might come from the
encoding of the PT itself?

J.F.