[Zope] Isn't DTML more like what other frameworks do?

JPenny at ykksnap-america.com JPenny at ykksnap-america.com
Mon Jan 8 13:02:15 EST 2007

zope-bounces at zope.org wrote on 01/08/2007 01:01:26 PM:

> """Why (the hell) are you (still) using DTML (as newbie). You are
strongly
> encouraged to use ZPT."""
>
> My sense is that ZPT solves a problem which for most of us does not
> exist. If you wish to have designers work directly on markup in an
> HTML WYSIWYG editor then yes, ZPT is great.
>
> What does matter is that DTML is very similar to RHTML (as in Ruby
> On Rails), ASP, etc. ZPT requires a new way of thinking. I would
> much rather convert RHTML to or from DTML than to or from ZPT.
>
> So I don't really get the benefit of using ZPT. The fact that no one
> outside of Zope seems to have created a ZPT-like solution suggests
> to me that ZPT, as I said, solves a problem which doesn't exist.

I initially resisted ZPT, strongly.  But, the designer/developer
dichotomy is not the real reason to use ZPT.  The real reason is that
ZPT makes it very difficult to generate ill-formed pages.

A secondary reason, is that if you are doing a lot of work with forms,
it is actually much easier to create a single forms that handles both
initial input and correction of errors.

jim penny