[Zope] Isn't DTML more like what other frameworks do?

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Mon Jan 8 14:43:27 EST 2007

Aloha,

Mark, Jonathan (Integic) wrote:
> What does matter is that DTML is very similar to RHTML (as in Ruby On
> Rails), ASP, etc. ZPT requires a new way of thinking. I would much
> rather convert RHTML to or from DTML than to or from ZPT.
>
> So I don't really get the benefit of using ZPT. The fact that no one
> outside of Zope seems to have created a ZPT-like solution suggests to
> me that ZPT, as I said, solves a problem which doesn't exist.

As mentioned other frameworks use TAL/METAL (the basis for ZPT; bear in
mind ZPT is a zope-specific use of TAL and METAL) - I have worked with
Roundup a bit and it was a joy to see that it used TAL for template
language.

One major factor nobody has mentioned yet is that TAL/METAL offers much
better ability to separate logic, presentation and content.
By their very nature HTML-munging template markups violate this
well-known (if not well-respected ;-) design principle.

The WYSIWYG editor thing is merely a side benefit of markup that is both
XML compliant and cleanly separates logic, presentation and content.

I suspect that nobody else created TAL because it is easier to go with
what one is familiar/comfortable with - HTML-munging - than to break new
ground, even when the new ground is better in both design and practice.

Sure DTML is more like PHP and ASP and Ruby/Rails' HTML munge and
Alfresco's HTML munge and so on (whatever they're called). As my grandma
used to say, if everyone were jumping off a cliff, would you do it too
just because they were?
;-)

cheers,
John S.