[Zope] Error starting zope - undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Thu Jun 21 03:03:20 EDT 2007

Aloha,

I have just attempted my first zope install using a python built from
source and am getting an error traceback ending with:

undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString

...when I try to start zope (full traceback at end of msg).

The story:
I need to get a zope 2.8.8 up and running on debian Etch (4.0) and
python 2.3.x is not available as debian package on Etch. So...

I got the python 2.3.6 tarball from python.org, followed the build
instructions and amazingly enough got it built and installed.
I already have python 2.4 so I made sure to put 2.3 in its' own path.

Then I got zope 2.8.8 tarball and built that, using the '--with-python='
option to specify my python 2.3 installation (/usr/local/bin/python2.3
FWIW).

The zope build seemed to complete fine also.
However when trying to start zope 2.8.8 I get the undefined symbol error.
The most relevant info I could google up is here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/zope/users/208596

I get that there may be some issue with the two build processes and
something called UCS4 vs. UCS2 mixed up somehow.
The rest, like how that happened and/or how to fix it, is way over my head.

Can anyone clarify the UCS2/UCS4 issue and how to resolve it?

thanks,
John S.

--
John Schinnerer, MA WSD