[Zope] Error starting zope - undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Thu Jun 21 03:58:18 EDT 2007

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 20. Juni 2007 21:03:20 -1000 John Schinnerer <john at eco-living.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Aloha,
>>
>> I have just attempted my first zope install using a python built from
>> source and am getting an error traceback ending with:
>>
>> undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString
>>
>> ...when I try to start zope (full traceback at end of msg).
>>
>> The story:
>> I need to get a zope 2.8.8 up and running on debian Etch (4.0) and python
>> 2.3.x is not available as debian package on Etch. So...
>>
>> I got the python 2.3.6 tarball from python.org, followed the build
>> instructions and amazingly enough got it built and installed.
>> I already have python 2.4 so I made sure to put 2.3 in its' own path.
>>
>> Then I got zope 2.8.8 tarball and built that, using the '--with-python='
>> option to specify my python 2.3 installation (/usr/local/bin/python2.3
>> FWIW).
>>
>> The zope build seemed to complete fine also.
>> However when trying to start zope 2.8.8 I get the undefined symbol error.
>> The most relevant info I could google up is here:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/zope/users/208596
>>
>> I get that there may be some issue with the two build processes and
>> something called UCS4 vs. UCS2 mixed up somehow.
>> The rest, like how that happened and/or how to fix it, is way over my
>> head.
>>
>> Can anyone clarify the UCS2/UCS4 issue and how to resolve it?
>
> You have definitely some Python module somewhere in our sys.path or
> PYTHONPATH compiled against a different Python version....trible
> check that.

Thanks...I have no idea how to do that unfortunately.
This is the first time I've built python from source. I just followed
the build instructions in the tarball and "it worked." At least, I have
a working python 2.3 in the location I specified for "--with-python"
when building zope.
 From various list messages about this same error message I get that
there is some mismatch involving UCS2 vs. UCS4 compiled pieces - if I
grok correctly...?
I have no idea what controls that and saw nothing about it in the python
or zope build docs.
I previously had zope 2.8.8 running on debian Sarge with the packaged
python 2.3 no problem.
So...onwards...somehow...

John S.

--