[Zope] Download Large Files in Zope

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Mar 7 08:25:13 EST 2007

Jary Busato schrieb:
> Maciej Wisniowski ha scritto:
>>> Large files aren't store in ZODB but in a shared folder connected with
>>> LOCALFS. Maybe Zope load a file in zodb before begin the download?
>>> (Are there other storage product that work only in zope - without plone?)
>>> Tramline is an Apache add-on but my problem still remain without
>>> Apache so this product can help me after  I resolved the Zope issue.
>>>
>> I think that if you'll use tramline you'll have no 'Zope issue' anymore.
>>

> Looking LocalFS specs I find the issue:
>
> This version of LocalFS takes advantanges of Zope 2.7.1
> <http://www.zope.org/Members/hewei/zoperpms/zope2.7> 's new
> /filestream_iterator/ feature and is believed to server large files
> better than before. However, my initial testing showed that *it still
> doesn't prevent the whole file being loaded into memory*. When I opened
> a URL pointing to a mpg file served by LocalFS, the file was loaded into
> memory and then immediately freeed twice.
>
> I think that's the problem... load 300Mb into memory.... Maybe I look
> for other fs products.

However download of files off ZODB isnt such a big problem (you should
mount an extra storage for the files to avoid overly cache trashing)
but the performance is more then acceptable. ZODB/Filestorage is currely
only a problem if you regulary update those files (or objects anyway)
because it would add a complete new version.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain