[Zope] How do people work with html-designers?

Gaute Amundsen gaute at div.org
Thu Mar 15 04:52:34 EDT 2007

I have been meaning to ask this for a while..

How do people set up the zope development process and servers to work well
with web-designers who use wysiwyg editors like dreamweaver?

I mean, we all probably use webdav, and "external editor", but after that?

After all one of the advertised advantages of ZPT, is that you can send the
template back to the designer without him destroying the TAL code. (not right
away at least)

In practice I find that once the original html has been split into "main
tempate" and "content template" parts, or the like, it gets rather
impractical to involve the designer again, and we end up having the coders do
way more css work than they should.

I know you can leave the "dummy content" in place, but often the stylesheets,
and scripts live in a different folder, and gets aquired by zope for
publishing.

If I could get this whole process to be more of a two way thing, I could do do
stuff, like start a site with a prototype, and have the designer beautyfy
that, and work iteratively, instead of allways starting with the graphic
design...

Perhaps it would be possible to construct a special webdav "editor view" that
could "symlink" certain files into any directory, so that the wysiwyg editor
finds them, or even "assemble" the templates to a page, and send the edits to
the right template, or something like that.

Perhaps such a product allready exists? :)

Or maybe the fix is in the editor, and you can tell dreamweaver to look for
stuff it can't find in the dav-filesystem, at a certain URL instead..

Anyway, I would be glad to hear how other zope-shops, deal with these kinds of
issues.

Regards

Gaute Amundsen