[Zope] V iewlet in rotterdam?

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Fri Mar 23 13:15:08 EDT 2007

Zope 3.3

I want to add a viewlet to the rotterdam skin. I don't want to create my
own skin. is there an accepted way of doing this? I'm surprised that the
left sidebar in rotterdam doesn't appear to have  a viewlet manager. I
have been unable to find any declarations in zcml (grepped for
viewletManager through the entire zope source, didn't see anything
relevant).

It looks like rotterdam makes do with macros, instead of using viewlets.
Is there a reason for this? Seems like the left sidebar is perfect for a
manager, with a viewlet for navigation and another for the add menu.

I am writing a syndication (web feeds: Atom, RSS, etc) package for zope
and want to plug my viewlet for accessing feed links directly into
rotterdam. Perhaps this isn't the way to do it, but it seems to me that
a package like mine that provides general functionality shouldn't define
its own skin, but should be usable in other skins. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Derek