[Zope] V iewlet in rotterdam?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 13:48:03 EDT 2007

Derek Richardson-2 wrote:

> Zope 3.3
>
> I want to add a viewlet to the rotterdam skin. I don't want to create my
> own skin. is there an accepted way of doing this? I'm surprised that the
> left sidebar in rotterdam doesn't appear to have  a viewlet manager. I
> have been unable to find any declarations in zcml (grepped for
> viewletManager through the entire zope source, didn't see anything
> relevant).
>
> It looks like rotterdam makes do with macros, instead of using viewlets.
> Is there a reason for this? Seems like the left sidebar is perfect for a
> manager, with a viewlet for navigation and another for the add menu.
>
> I am writing a syndication (web feeds: Atom, RSS, etc) package for zope
> and want to plug my viewlet for accessing feed links directly into
> rotterdam. Perhaps this isn't the way to do it, but it seems to me that
> a package like mine that provides general functionality shouldn't define
> its own skin, but should be usable in other skins. Am I wrong?
>

>From what I understand, Rotterdam is pretty old, and people generally create
their own skins from scratch.

I don't think a generic component that provides a service (syndication)
should be trying to blanket impose a UI. If you want a demo UI, then have a
separate package for this, which shows an example UI. The generic component
could still have a viewlet, just not wire it up.

Martin