[Zope] Scaling problems, or something else?

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at ze.tum.de
Wed May 16 01:52:08 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:10:40AM +0200, Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> So there is no other possible limit in a zope instance than IO or CPU?
> If cpu was the limiting factor I would see the 2 python processes running 90%
> and dozens of httpd's taking up the rest?

I'm running a zope site with up 70k requests per hour (40k on avarage). I've
noticed that the main reason vor performance problem is not enough memory.

We are running 13 Frontend Zope servers and a ZEO Backend.

All our frontendservers have 8gig ram. Zope gets major performance Problems
when it reaches the limit of physical memory. Check your system if the.
So having 2 zope Processes on the same system increases the Problem.

Zope 2.7 doesn't scale very well with the ZEO. The more Frontend server
you get the more Read Conflicts you have. Migration to Zope2.8 reduced this
problem.

I have build a squid proxy in reverse mode take the Request and spead them
per round robin to the ZopeFrontends. This takes quite a lot load from the
systems as the squid caches most of the static content (images, PDF files
etc).

Regard
	Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | EMail: estartu at augusta.de          |  on request
Germany            | 					|