[Zope] Scaling problems, or something else?

Gaute Amundsen gaute at div.org
Wed May 16 11:10:57 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 15:20, Chris Withers wrote:
> Gaute Amundsen wrote:

> >> Well, there's RAM of course.  If you run out and start swapping a lot,
> >> that's a big problem :)
> >
> > About 12G in that box, so  that's unlikely.
>
> How big's your Data.fs? If it's bigger than 12GB, then careless code can
> easilly chew through all your ram...

As it happens its' very close to 12 G!

> >> Very helpful if the trouble is ZODB I/O.  Have a look at the activity
> >> graph and see if you're getting lots of loads... might mean your ZODB
> >> cache is too small and is getting thrashed.
> >
> > I set cache-size to 10000 last night, up from the default.
>
> If you're using a ZCatalog, you might consider splitting it into it's
> own zodb in order to improve the performance of this cache...

Using it in small bits all over the place. That would make it rather hard to
mount separately, would it not?

> > Big CMS system with about 70 virtual domains.

Make that ~180 hosts in apache and ~85 in zope.

> How often does the content change?

Not often at all.
I've got a munin plugin for it now, and that indicates the average is less
than 2500 stores over 5 min. Rather hard to see actually, against the reads
which fluctuates between 30 K and 100 K.

(will plublish that plugin, once I add some comments and such.)