[Zope] Scaling problems, or something else?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed May 16 12:04:34 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:47:11AM -0500, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On 16 May 2007, at 10:13, Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> >Hm.. yes, that's the way we have been inclined.. just skip the
> >whole ZEO
> >thing, and go straight for Varnish integration. Lotts of old sinns
> >that have
> >to be paid off for that to work for everything however..
>
> I don't think he advocates removing ZEO. That would be silly.

Why? I don't think ZEO is a panacea that magically makes apps faster
in all cases.  If you're not CPU-bound, the added network overhead and
increased chance of write conflicts might be a net loss.  Based on
everything he's said so far, it sounds like Gaute still has plenty of
headroom on his CPU.

As for the other benefits of ZEO:

- multiple ZEO clients does allow you better responsiveness with high
concurrency, but you can also try increasing the number of threads to
get the same effect without the added network overhead.

- not using ZEO means that Zope is a single point of failure. Can't
argue with that :)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com