[Zope] Frustrated with Python and Frameworks. Zope, Grok, , Django, CherryPy

Aaron Maupin maupin at pastrytech.com
Tue Nov 27 12:20:29 EST 2007

Rene B <rb2.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm beginning to think there's nothing  out there  for a newbie python
> programmer like myself.  I'm a Network Admin  that likes programming but
> doesn't have the time to get really proficient at it.

> Out of all the ones I've researched I like
> Zope 2 the best.  Not sure why. I want some thing easy.  I like DTML. It's
> easy. I know why ZPT has it's advantages but for ease of use it doesn't come
> close to DTML. Most people like me wont  be building complex web sites and  I'd
> be the only working on it meaning I'll do the HTML layout and code the dynamic
> portions of it. So I don't' need to worry about  an HTML editor getting
> confused with the dynamic languages  mixed in blah blah  blah.

Then your search is over.  Just use Zope 2.

I'm in almost exactly your position.  I learned DTML because at the time
the Zope tutorials all taught it first (they probably still do), and
since I'm never going to be editing code except by hand, I don't worry
about DTML tags getting messed up.  Also, unless something has changed
you need to use DTML somewhat for ZSQL methods.  And anything that's
tricky to do in DTML/ZPT should probably be in a Python script anyway.

Frankly, I've created half a dozen Zope sites over the last four years,
two of them fairly active medium-sized sites ( letsdating.jp and
gamesocks.com ), and Zope is basically just a fancy-pants container for
my Python scripts.  It works beautifully.  I know I'm not using the
"full power" of Zope, but as a container for Python scripts and with the
power of acquisition - one of my absolute favorite aspects of Zope 2 -
it makes development a snap.

Aaron