[Zope] Re: Frustrated with Python and Frameworks. Zope, Grok, , Django, CherryPy

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Nov 29 07:24:02 EST 2007

Hey,

On Nov 28, 2007 11:18 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Hey,

> >> I think this is a great idea as it works with the Plone collective this
> >> way as well.
> >
> > Just to make it utterly clear: this stuff won't happen by itself. We
> > need a bunch of self-driven volunteers to do this work: look up
> > the relevant codebases, contact their authors, check them into a SVN
> > if they look orphaned (if they aren't of course don't fork them!) and
> > make an index page describing what is going on. This can be done
> > independently from zope.org, and should later become part of the
> > zope.org website.
> >
> > You will need a SVN repository somewhere. svn.zope.org could be used
> > if you have committer access, but it would
> > be somewhat restricted as GPL-ed products can't be placed in there.
> > Anyway, all these questions I'm thinking of now someone else should
> > take the lead on, as it won't be me. :)
>
> For clarity, nobody but a ZC employee (at present) is supposed to be
> checking in any code with any license other than the ZPL;  in the
> future, such a checkin will need to be approved by some agent / organ of
> the Zope Foundation.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. Anyway, it could be any SVN
repository - and this project will only happen if one or two
volunteers do
the work of collecting interesting Zope 2 products, contacting the
authors (not strictly necessary but always a good thing to do) and
checking them in, possibly
cleaning things up here and there.

I know for one Formulator could be a candidate. I haven't been doing
much with it for quite a while now. Needs to be squared with Infrae,
which is doing some low-level maintenance on it, and it's safe in the
Infrae SVN, but should there be a good new home and enough volunteers
to help maintain it, it's quite possible Infrae would be interested in
having it most. I'm not speaking for Infrae here, just as the original
author of Formulator.

Regards,

Martijn