[Zope] Re: Frustrated with Python and Frameworks. Zope, Grok, , Django, CherryPy

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Nov 30 15:24:25 EST 2007

Hey,

On Nov 29, 2007 8:43 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > the work of collecting interesting Zope 2 products, contacting the
> > authors (not strictly necessary but always a good thing to do) and
> > checking them in, possibly
> > cleaning things up here and there.
>
> Well, I think is is fine for products where the original maintainer has
> "gone away" and the original repository is no longer available, but I
> think that having multiple forks on products with active repositories is
> asking for trouble.

Of course, so we should avoid this by trying to contact the original
developer(s). I
guess I wasn't clear about 'not strictly necessary'; I'd consider it
less necessary if there
has been no development for years, but of even then sending off an
email makes sense. It might
not make sense to wait indefinitely for an answer, however.

> I would have thought the key thing would be to build something like the
> cheeseshop but for zope products. But that's really one of the key
> things that zope.org should be, no?
>
> Maybe http://products.zope.org would be a simpler thing to build and get
> running?

I think a Plone site should be able to run something like this, as
plone.org does, right? Anyway,
I don't think the technology is the most work here. We need someone to
go through and create
the content. Even a simple web-page listing interesting products and
where to find them would already
be tremendous progress.  Content will be our challenge, let's not
worry about technology too much, which
should be in good hands.

Regards,

Martijn