[Zope] Script (Python) insecure ?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Aug 12 08:16:44 EDT 2008

*sigh*

I wished that both exploits were reported to the Zope bugtracker in order
to work on solutions before making the exploits public.

--On 12. August 2008 13:41:04 +0200 "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> Hello,

> 1. Attack:
>
> Put this into a "Script (Python)" object and run it:
>
> return 'kaboom'.encode('test.testall')
>
> This results in a denial-of-service, since Zope will hang
> running the Python test suite.
>
> The reason for this is a problem in the way the encoding search
> function works in Python 2.4. This was changed in 2.5 to no longer
> allow searching for codecs outside the encodings package.

That's pretty obscure behavior of Python 2.4...anyway.

> 2. Attack:
>
> Put this into a "Script (Python)" object and run it:
>
> raise SystemExit
>
> This shuts down Zope.
>
> The Python Script environment should obviously catch such exceptions
> and not let them propagate up the call stack.

See the followup on

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope2/+bug/257269>

There is a patch available that solves the problem.

Andreas