[Zope] rename meta_type

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:36:06 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 3:34 PM, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> David Chelimsky wrote at 2008-2-7 13:17 -0600:
> >I have a product in use on many of my client sites. I'd like to rename
> >the meta_type of one of the classes, but I notice that when I do, the
> >pre-existing objects retain their old meta_type.
>
> Then these instances misbehave: they have assigned the "meta_type"
> attribute themselves rather than used the class level attribute
> (which they should have done).
>
> >Is there a way for me to force a zope object to "reset" itself
> >according to a modified class definition?
>
> You must locate the object and delete the instance level
> attribute.

Thanks for the reply, Dieter. Through further exploration I discovered
that they in fact *had* the correct meta_type. The problem I was
experiencing was that when I called objectValues('New MetaType') on
the object's parent, I didn't get anything back. It turns out that
this method operates on a dictionary maintained in the parent rather
than actually interrogating its children for their meta_type.

So I'm now using my own version of objectValues and all is well in my
application. It's an old version of zope (2.7.9), so I'm guessing that
a patch would be a waste of time at this point, yes?