[Zope] compile time optimizations for python

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Jan 18 13:47:40 EST 2008

--On 18. Januar 2008 10:56:16 -0700 David Bear <David.Bear at asu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 06:25:29PM +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:
>>

>> --On 18. Januar 2008 10:21:33 -0700 David Bear <David.Bear at asu.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > are there any compile time optimizations for python that would also
>> > help optimize zope?
>>
>> Not really. Why do you ask? What is slow? What appears as slow?
>
> I'm putting zope/plone on a virtual machine and I would like to
> optimize for memory consumption if possible. I don't know how rapidly
> the hosting service I'm using could add ram to the vm.

Memory optimization is tricky. Especially ZODB cache tuning. But there is
nothing at a compilation that would help you. Perhaps one thing: there is a
switch that cares about the internal unicode representation (UCS2 vs UCS4).
UCS2 might be the better choice since it will use only 2 byte per unicode
character instead of 4.

Andreas