[Zope] Reinventing a proxy wheel?

Gaute Amundsen gaute at div.org
Tue Jun 3 02:27:18 EDT 2008

Hi.

I think I may just have reinvented a kind of cgi-proxy for authentication
purposes. Seems to work nicely so far, but oh, so ugly. Thus I would be
gratefull for any pointers towards some more enlightened solution.

Problem to solve: External php based facility needs to be made available to
logged in zope users only, but have no built in mechanism to to
handle "everyone must log in to see anything at all" situations. Some users
can be synced by way of sql, but many can not. This is a given.

My solution so far: An external method that wraps wget. Rearanges the url to
connect via 127.0.0.1, and use original host as host header. Use Apache to
close access to everyone but 127.0.0.1. Rest of the script basically shuffles
headers back and forth from zope to wget, and back. and the script can of
course be subject to normal zope access checks.

If no major flaws with this approach appears, I will of course replace wget
with urllib, and perhaps even productify the thing, but before I do that I
have this nagging feeling of reinventing the wheel that I need to address...

Regards

Gaute Amundsen