[Zope] unicode support

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Thu Jun 26 19:23:36 EDT 2008

I would advice against relying on default-zpublisher-encoding. I never
used that.
By specifying the encoding like this  "variablename:utf8:ustring" you
override whatever default-zpublisher-encoding was set to.
If you rely on default-zpublisher-encoding your product isn't
installable somewhere in another zope without explicit instructions
and it might clash with other things installed.
Remember, it's just a default.

2008/6/26 Garry Saddington <garry at schoolteachers.co.uk>:
> On Thursday 26 June 2008 15:12, Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>> --On 26. Juni 2008 14:09:50 +0000 Garry Saddington
>

>> <garry at schoolteachers.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > I am using Zope 2.9 connected to a Posgres DB via psycopg. My database
>
>> > encoding is UTF8. I am getting the following error when users try to
>
>> > insert text in the database containing £ signs: ERROR: invalid byte
>
>> > sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xa3
>

>> > This is due to the encoding of a £ sign in the text being sent to the
>> > DB.
>
>> > My question then is how do I make sure that all encodings submiitted
>> > from
>
>> > forms are in the correct UTF8 format? Regards
>

>> Use ensure that the HTML page uses UTF-8 as encoding
>
>> (either using <meta-equiv...> within the HTML page or by sending
>

>> content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
>

>> as HTTP header.
>

> I have taken this a little further after trying all suggestions in the
> thread with no success and looked into zope.conf, specifically:
>
> # Directive: default_zpublisher_encoding
>
> #

> # This controls what character set is used to encode unicode
>
> # data that reaches ZPublisher without any other specified encoding.
>
> #
>
> # Default: iso-8859-15
>
> #
>
> # Example:
>
> #
>
> # default_zpublisher_encoding utf-8
>
> As my pages all report as iso-8859-15 I thought a change here would help,
> but this happens:
>
> from OFS.content_types import guess_content_type
>
> Error: 'default_zpublisher_encoding' is not a known key name
>
> It works on this: Zope Version (Zope 2.9.0, python 2.4.2, win32)
>
> And fails on this: Zope Version (Zope 2.9.0-, python 2.4.5, linux2)
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> regards
>
> Garry
>
> ps. just noticed the typo (not mine) in zope.conf -
> default_zpublisher_encoding should be default-zpublisher-encoding
>
> all sorted

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com