[Zope] Upgrading a Product from Zope 2.7 to Zope 2.10

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Wed Mar 19 08:42:18 EDT 2008

I'm not an expert at these kind of things but 3 tips:

* Don't bother with trying to run off the old Data.fs until you get
your product working in the new Zope.

* Inspect your code and what kind of objects (and most likely more
importantly) and attributes you're attaching to classes that are
persistent. I've forgotten my case now but I remember that I had a
problem when I was trying to set an attribute that turned out to be a
uncalled class method of another class.

* Get familiar with this: 'import pdb; pdb.set_trace()'

On 19/03/2008, Mark Hellewell <mark.hellewell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm in the middle of trying to upgrade a Product written for Zope 2.7
>  so that it runs on Zope 2.10!
>
>  The product appears in the newer ZMI's list of available products but
>  whenever I try to add an object of the products type through the ZMI I
>  get the following error in the event.log and nothing is added to the
>  site:
>
>  Traceback (innermost last):
>    Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 125, in publish
>    Module Zope2.App.startup, line 238, in commit
>    Module transaction._manager, line 96, in commit
>    Module transaction._transaction, line 395, in commit
>    Module transaction._transaction, line 495, in _commitResources
>    Module ZODB.Connection, line 502, in commit
>    Module ZODB.Connection, line 1046, in savepoint
>    Module ZODB.Connection, line 555, in _commit
>    Module ZODB.Connection, line 582, in _store_objects
>    Module ZODB.serialize, line 407, in serialize
>  TypeError: Can't pickle objects in acquisition wrappers.
>
>  additionally, if I take a Data.fs from my Zope 2.7 instance and try
>  running with it in place on a 2.10 instance the various objects of the
>  product already created simply don't show up (no broken icon, nothing)
>
>  Running Zope 2.10.5 and Python 2.4.4 and the Product in question was
>  written using CMF 1.4.2 (but now upgraded to CMF 1.6.4, I've made
>  several changes already to accomodate this upgrade)
>
>  I'd be grateful for any insight anyone might have or any hints at what
>  to do next!
>
>  Thanks,
>  Mark

Peter Bengtsson,