Fwd: [Zope] zope on google file system

Tim Nash thedagdae at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:01:50 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tim Nash wrote:
> > I don't have the skills but I think it would be cool if some
> > student ported Zope to utilize features of the google file system or
> > libferris. Libferris is a virtual file system that mounts just about
> > everything including postgres, xml and OpenOffice docs.
>
> Where are you thinking of plugging Zope into this storage layer?

Something like this:
Apache -> zope (business logic, security) -> libferris along with ZODB

Perhaps making all libferris resources url addressable within zope.
However Postgres and other databases would be better off getting
accessed through zsql.

Perhaps also make all ZODB objects published as libferris resources.
> > If zope ran
> > on the gfs (primarily adding business logic, security and publishing)
> > it would give a boost to the value of any zope based company.
>
> I don't know what "running on gfs" would mean, but surely this is only
> available to Google employees and internal projects?

The google file system is a distributed file system.
http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs.html If the zope <--> distributed
file system interface was clean, zope could run against other
distributed file systems. Then when the gfs becomes a service that can
be purchased (surely coming one day) zope is ready to be ported to
gfs.

Also, google can only offer so much without the ability to utilize
business logic and security. They must be looking for an affordable
way to offer business logic that can scale and serving secure objects.
A bright student can help them explore using zope for this.

> > Also, I
> > think it would be fun to run map/reduce on my stored objects!
>
> Dunno what this means either...

Here is a paper on map reduce.  If zope is storing documents, it would
be useful to map / reduce the documents stored in zope and prepare
reports, etc..
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

Here is an overview offering many competing arguments: "Why Should You
Care About MapReduce?"
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=48283

Also, check out hadoop.  http://hadoop.apache.org/