[Zope] database conflict error on startup - disabling Five

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Nov 29 03:27:43 EST 2008

djay75 wrote at 2008-11-26 15:38 -0800:

>Hi, I'm getting the following error during startup of a zeo with 3 instances.
>It doesn't happen with one instance. It's zope2.9.8, plone 2.5 and the Five
>1.4 svn branch.
>
>I thought the Five svn branch might help based on this thread
>http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20080520.172500.38ab3445.en.html
>but no luck.
>
>2008-11-25T00:37:49 ERROR Zope Couldn't install Five
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "c:\zope\2.9.8\Zope\lib\python\OFS\Application.py", line 783, in
>install_product
>    initmethod(context)
>    self._commit(transaction)
>  File "c:\zope\2.9.8\Zope\lib\python\ZODB\Connection.py", line 518, in
>_commit
>    raise ConflictError(object=obj)
>ConfigurationExecutionError: ZODB.POSException.ConflictError: database
>conflict error (oid 0x1338, class App.Product.Product)

The Zope startup process is very sensible for exceptions of all
kinds (at least in debug mode, in production mode they are ignored),
including "ConflictError". Unlike during normal operation, there
is no retry after a "ConflictError".

When you have a multi ZEO client setup, you should have a single
client distinguished responsible to keep "Control_Panel/products"
up to date. There is a configuration option for this ("*enable*product*").
Set it to "on" in this distinguished client and to "off" in all others.
This avoids "ConflictError"s during startup.

--
Dieter