[Zope] VHM / traverse subpath interaction bug?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 10:32:23 EDT 2008

Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> Worse yet, if you go to:
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/https/example.com:443/test/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_something/x/y/z
>>
>> ...you get:
>>
>> ['virtual_hosting', '/something', 'x', 'y', 'z']
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on here?
>
> It is very strange that you want to define a Python Script as
> root of your site. This use case is simple not supported.

Who said anything about it being the root of a site? ;-)

I guess this wouldn't actually happen if the python script was after the
  vritual host's root...

I actually bumped into this trying to get the antique ZRoundup product
to work on Zope 2.11. The fix wasn't that pretty:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2141835&group_id=31577&atid=402788

(see the __before_traverse__ hook code)

>   A VHM needs to get control twice -- once to set things up
>   and once to set the virtual root.
>   It ensures to get control the second time by adding additional traversal
>   steps.

I bet repoze's VHM replacement doesn't need this ;-)
I wonder how they do it?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk