[Zope] Using page templates to generate large XML files

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Sep 6 02:36:24 EDT 2008

--On 6. September 2008 08:26:17 +0200 Marco Bizzarri
<marco.bizzarri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I need to generate a large XML file inside a Zope application; the
> file is for backup purposes, so it is stored on the server and can be
> downloaded later with whatever suitable tool.
>
> The data are taken from a database, and then they are used to create
> the XML. I assume there will be between 40.000 and 100.000 rows to be
> dumped.
>
> I thought i could use page template for this purpose, but I'm not sure
> if it is possible to send the output from a pt to a file, directly. Of
> course, this is a problem which can be easily solved.

If you're using Zope 2.10 or higher, you can either use the "native"  ZPT
implementation from Zope 3 (see zope.pagetemplate module) or you use the
Zope 2 implementation (which is basically only a wrapper around the Z3
implementation). In this case you might look at the unittests in
testZopePageTemplates.py or otherwise you check the doctests of
zope.pagetemplate.

-aj