[Zope] Looking to increase confidence in my Backups

Cristopher Ewing cewing at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 20 14:42:31 EDT 2009

Ho there,

I've got a backup strategy that seems to be working fine for me, but
I'm ever looking for ways to increase confidence that the backups I'm
making of Data.fs are actually functional and can be restored from
properly.

To that end, I was reading some info on this page:

   http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/FileStorageBackup

and playing with the fstest and fsrefs scripts referenced there.
I've discovered a problem (I think).  Here's the scenario:

$ python fstest.py -v Data.fs
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "fstest.py", line 228, in <module>    main()
   File "fstest.py", line 215, in main
     VERBOSE = VERBOSE + 1
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'VERBOSE' referenced before assignment

The same error arises in using fsrefs, although there the line where
the error is raised reads
     VERBOSE += 1

By changing the declaration of VERBOSE from

   VERBOSE = 0

   VERBOSE = 1

the error goes away, but of course you always get verbose output,
which we don't really need or want for automated integrity checks, do
we?

Am I using the right tool for this job?  Is there a better way out
there to create automated integrity checks of Data.fs files restored
from repozo-generated backups?

Thanks

********************************
Cris Ewing