[Zope] ZeoRAID usage in production

Miles Waller miles at jamkit.com
Tue Jun 2 12:56:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

This is mainly a question for Christian, but I'm cc'ing the list as it will
be useful knowledge to be generally available.  I was looking at this
product and thinking about using it in an upcoming assignment.

>From the docs:
"Keep backups of your data. ZEORaid has good unit test coverage but hasn't
seen live action yet, so keep this in mind." - is this still the case?

Is anyone else using it at the moment at all for demanding sites?  Could you
post some stats, experiences and any gotchas at all?  How does ZeoRAID cope
with the blob storage?  Also, what's the timeout for connecting to the zeo
storages?

Also, I read this bit in the docs:

"The RAID server itself remains the last single point of failure in the
system. This problem is solved as the RAID server does not maintain any
persistent state (except the configuration data: it's listening ip and port
and the list of storages).

The RAID server can be made reliable by providing a hot-spare server using
existing HA tools (taking over the IP when a host goes down) and the
existing ZEO ClientStorage behaviour."

Is it possible to provide a "pool" of ZeoRAID processes, each talking to the
same zeo storages, and put the list of ZeoRAID processes into the client
storage configuration so it will round-robin if one is not available?

Many thanks for your help,

Miles