[Zope] Is there a Zope migration tool?

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:22:22 EDT 2009

And Lennart wrote:

> What is it you need to migrate? Zope itself needs no migration from 2.7 to 2.10.

Thank you for your replies.  To clarify, I don't have ANY changes in
my application.
The only thing changing is that I am moving my application from a SUSE
10.1 Linux
system running Zope 2.7.8 to a CentOS 5.3 Linux server running Zope 2.10.7.

The purpose of the move is to get off an old and no longer supported
Linux distro
and onto a new Linux server.

This web app is in production, which means I need to move all the data
over and all the users without breaking it.

I am not a programmer, I am a system administrator.  I don't know about
the internals of this application, and nobody does, it's not documented,
and the original programmer is not available.

I am trying to figure out how move this beastie over with all its data and
all its users.

What I have so far is:  export application-related items in the root folder
on the Zope 2.7 server, plus the acl_users folder; and import them all
into the Zope 2.10 server.

This seems to work.

I just want to know if there is a better way, especially since the Zope
server warns against doing this unless the installations are identical,
and in this case they are not.   If my way works, and there is no better
way, my job is done.  I want to make sure I've paid due diligence
by asking on this list if there is a better way, oh wise people who
know and use Zope?

Best,
-at