[Zope] zeo cache-size tuning - number of obj. vs MB

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Jan 6 15:01:51 EST 2010

Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 03:57 -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:

>> The ZEO client cache is a disk-based cache, separate from the RAM-based
>> cache used by any ZODB connection.  It doesn't use RAM, per se, except
>> for an in-memory index of OID -> (layer, offset).
>
> What would happen if set too small or too large?

If it is too small, your app will have to go across the net too often to
fetch an object's state from the ZEO server.  If it is too large, then
recovering after the client disconnects from the ZEO server can take a
very long time.

>> Assuming you are running with the default number of "worker threads"
>> (4):  10000 objects in the cache * 4 active connections per appserver *
>> 9 appservers means you are caching 360,000 objects in RAM.  If they are
>> putting you into swap, then you are averaging something like 10Kb per
>> object, which is pretty big.
>
> Sorry, forgot to mention: 1 thread per appserver.
> Otherwise there's not much use in haproxy's load balancing we figured.

I would probably test that assumption.  One rule of thumb I use is one
appserver process per CPU, and then tune number of threads / connection
cache size until the machine stays just out of swap.

> Meory usage as reported by munin is avg. 160M, max ~220M
> and backend loads/stores are about 1000/10 a minute avg.
> and iowait at 45% avg today.
> committed memory 3.7G avg.
>
> This little oneliner for summing VSZ:
> ps auxf | grep zope | awk  '{total+=$5} END{print total}'
> reports:
> 1918552 for zope
> 1489768 for varnish
> 2270732 for www-data
>
> And for RSS
> 1375908 zope
>  177200 varnsih
>  374624 www-data
>

> in addition to the 9, that includes one appserver with 6 therads/60000
> obs and one with 1 therad/20000 for developers and robots respectively.

Nothing jumps out at me:  I might look at pushing varnish or apache off
onto another machine, maybe.

>> I think I might cut down on the number of appservers on that host, if it
>> truly is hitting swap.  Or trim the number of threads per appserver down
>> from 4 to 2 or 3.
>
> Problem is we run out of them way to often now, and get 503's from
> haproxy. I just added another 3 in fact..
>
> Perhaps I'll try with 6 tomorrow..

If your proxy is timing you out, then maybe you need to look at more
hardware, or elas spend some time profiling the application and trimming
out unnecessary work there.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com