[Zope] questions about migrating forwards

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Mar 11 10:05:12 EST 2010

Andrew Watkins wrote:

> We have a legacy web service that is running on Zope 2.6.2 with
> Python 2.3.3
>
> For various reasons - security, maintenance etc we have decide to try
> migrating this forward to a current version of python and zope. e.g.
> Python 2.6 + Zope 2.12.2
>
> I have a new clean SUSE linux 11 installation with the correct
> python, setuptools and I am using virtualenv to create a sandbox
>
> I have installed the zope 2.12.2 and configured it in much the same
> way as the older system - (zeo with two data files, + 1 zope
> instance.)
>
> All is good and I can start up the instance and access the management
> pages.
>
> My next step is to get the Products list that we were using running.
> Here I have run into two problems 1. ExternalFile This fails to load
> with the error 'ImportError: No module named Interface'  (stack trace
> below) I tested this with zope 2.11.4 and it works ok.

You will eed to patch ExternalFile to use Zope3-style interfaces.  E.g.,
instead of:

  from Interface import Interface

patch it to be:

  from zope.interface import Interface

Their may be other changes required, as well, depending on how the
product uses the interfaces.  (Later:  I've done the patch, at least to
the extent of getting the appserver to start:  see attachment).

> 2. ZMySQLDA This fails with the message 'ImportError: No module named
> _mysql' again this works ok on zope 2.11.4

You need to install the MySQL-python package into your virtuaenv:

  $ bin/easy_install MySQL-python

> So I guess there is a key step that I am missing out or a path, or
> installation that is required. The main difference is that 2.12 is
> installed using virtualenv and then easy_install
>
> e.g. bin/easy_install -i http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.12.2
> Zope2
>
> Are there known incompatabilities with these Products ?  or is my
> installation just not quite right.

The ExternalFile product is quite old, and could likely use a maintainer
to keep it up to date.  I haven't seen Craeg Strong (the author) around
in Zopeland for quite some time:  he might be happy to hand it over to
you as a person who still needs to have the product work.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com