[Zope] Alternatives to ZWIKI?

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Thu Nov 14 03:54:35 CET 2013

On 11/13/13 4:06 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
> ZWIKI is quite old and looks like dead. Am I misunderstanding the
> situation?.
 Well this is a topic that has been very much on my mind.   Clearly
Wikis are an important thing.  Clearly Zope 2 is going away.  Something
is needed on top of Zope 3.

There was a version of Zwiki for Zope 3 by Stefan Richter.

You can read more about it here.
http://longrun.zwiki.org/zwiki.org/ZwikiForZope3

The source is here.
http://svn.zope.org/zwiki/trunk/

I took a look at the source. It has wikis and wiki pages, and three
types of text formatting.  Wikis and pages can be added TTW.  Hyperlinks
are done correclty.  And it had some understanding of the hierarchy of a
wiki, even if all the pages are int he same folder.  Interesting code.

It is about 5 years old.  I tried installing it, but did not run right away.

There is also a version here:

https://github.com/do3cc/zope/tree/master/zwiki/trunk/src/zwiki

Also 5 years since it was last updated.

A lot of the python sites use moinmoin.  Python.org, ztfy.org, maybe
ubuntu and a few others.  MoinMoin is all written in python.  I have to
say I am not happy with moinmoin.

To configure moinmoin I have to edit python files on the file system.
With ZWiki, I just added the product, and then used  the web interface
to add another wiki.  WAY WAY easier. Particularly figuring out how to
run a wiki farm, with multiple wikis was much easier TTW on Zope 2 than
with moinmoin on the file system.  For one thing I did not have to keep
stopping and restarting Zope 2.

But a bigger issue is that moinmoin is just a wiki.  There is a single
content type, wiki.  When I recently put up a memorial web page for my
deceased mother, in moinmoin the text all came up very fast, but just
not the right environment for putting up photos. Plus after an hour I
could not figure out how to indent paragraphs.  Let alone other
appearance changes.   Zope 2 and ZWiki would have allowed me to do all
3, a wiki and a photo page, and indent paragraphs, but sadly they are
both going away.

Sorry if that does not answer your question, but I hope that it helps.

Regards
Chris