[Zope] Zopache = ZTK + Grok + ZMI

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Fri Aug 1 12:21:29 CEST 2014

On 7/31/14, 9:13 PM, Fernando Martins wrote:
> I wonder if it was not a case of over-engineering that helped zope's
> community fragmentation.
That is correct.  You know the famous saying by P.J. Eby

Those who do not study Zope, are condemned to reinvent it.

Well that is because every concept known to software developers is in
there.
There is no clear directory into the concepts/software libraries.
And worse yet, when I want to use any of those concepts it does not have
a clear human interface, documentation and mental model,
 so that I have to go and read the source code.  It is a human factors
disaster.  Particularly if your boss is on your back
asking what you have done today.  "I just spent two days trying to
understand the zope security model.
Turns out I do not need it" Is not an acceptable reply.  Which is
literally how I spent my last two days.
I had to understand it before I could decide to toss parts of it out.
Fortunately I do not have a boss.

I now understand that my arguments on the mailing list were really about
software engineering vs Human Factors.
My training was in industrial engineering, rather than computer
science.  Using last centuries technologies is an unmitigated human
factors disaster.  Sure the future is giant libraries of reusable
components, but there is no viable way to get there from here.
There needs to be a graceful path.

So the Zopache user mental model starts with 4 simple TTW classes.
HTML, CSS, Javascipt, and Images.  It will be easy for people
to put up their HTML resumes on my next generation recruiting website
PrivaCV.com.  And from there the next branch of the hierarchical menu
will have some more options for them to explore and learn.  One step at
a time.

Thank you so much for helping me to understand the context of the work I
am doing.

Okay back to work.

Regards
Chris