[Zope] Zopache = ZTK + Grok + ZMI

Fernando Martins fernando at cmartins.nl
Wed Jul 30 21:50:38 CEST 2014

On 07/30/2014 12:56 PM, Christopher Lozinski wrote:
> I have a basic version of Zopache running internally.   It is a zope-2
> like ZMI running on top of
> grok on top of ZTK.  ZTK is really very nicely written.
> Grok makes it so much easier to use the ZTK.
> I an focused on using it to build my next generation recruiting website,
> but it would be good to have someone to talk to about this stuff.   It
> is very
> very hard to find anyone who both appreciates TTW development, and
> understands
> the multiple layers of ZTK and Grok.
I am a quite happy user of zope 2.9.x, although most likely my
application will have to be ported to tomcat (using jython) in the short
term.

I keep data in MySQL, I had to replace most products with Extensions for
lack of support, didn't use the TTW classes. I use little of the zope
API and no roles (I use my own security roles in the database) .

I like the ZMI, error_log, Zope DB Adapter, ZSQL, and Python Scripts
which hide the web machinery from me. I like the easy access to the
running environment for testing and maintenance purposes. I love the ZPT
and Python.

I have a nice UI/BusinessRules/DataAccess architecture that makes it
easy to do maintenance at minimal cost. It is very easy to jump in and
fix/improve code, especially considering I only do it on occasion.

There are of course limitations to this environment, in particular for
developers that need all the file system tools for development and
collaboration. But has it stands, it is very cost effective for some use
cases.

I don't know about ZTK, Grok.

Fernando Martins