[Zope] Zope2 - pro/contra

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Wed Mar 4 12:35:20 CET 2015

Am Mittwoch, 4. März 2015, 11:30:30 schrieb Sebastian Tänzer:

> A few days ago on a barcamp the discussion lead to Zope and the usual
> comments, i.e. "Zope is dead", "I would not use that", "Too complicated",
> "Too old", "Outdated",.... and so on.
This is "stuff" typically spreaden by guys who don't know what Zope really is
nor was and has (from my view) two reasons:

1.) The Zope project byself made very bad decisions within their communication
strategy in the past - i.e. announcing a "Zope3" (for which many was waiting
for) which did never come out and shoulnt be backward compatible to Zope2.

2.) Several PHP projects (like Typo3 and WP) are miscalled as "CMS" widely and
(in the case of Typo3) from the maintainers byself. PHP is available on many
low cost hosting packages available on the market (even if they are often to
small for a Typo3 site with some more load then a few visitors by day on a few
subpages. So in the view of many web agents and even "developers" anything
apart from PHP is'nt existing or is something "excotically" and/or for
enterprise level.

We had often to deal with any kind of PHP problems in the past where customers
decided to use any PHP "crap" for their business applications. Running PHP on
a pro level is not "easier" then managing Zope installations.

3.) Zope documentation was partly very bad - at least when it comes to
installation and system administration, updating etc.pp.

ZMS had some similiar "problems" which held it back from a very wide presence
- i.e. the long time not public available documentation and the hardly
specialized focus onto medicine in the communication.

just my two cents,

Niels.

--
 ---